Indian Hills Community College will host their annual FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL) Regional competition on Saturday, December 2, 2017.
The competition provides a fun way for students to begin thinking about careers in exciting fields such as engineering, robotics, and technology. Using LEGO® MINDSTORMS®, the children (ages 9-14) work together to create an innovative solution to a problem by conducting research, then building and programming an autonomous robot to score points on a thematic playing surface.
Opportunites, like this, for girls and boys to be introduced to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) at an early age, and to develop their interests and skills in these areas, are critical to the success of our children and our nation in the current and future global economy. Help the next generation get off to a great start!
Learn more about the FIRST® LEGO® League
Saturday, December 2, 2017
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Advanced Technology Center
Indian Hills Community College, Main Campus (Ottumwa)
Want to add this event to your calendar? Click the link below to go to the event on our calendar, scroll to the bottom of the event page, and select your preferred calendar option under "Save this Event" on the right side of the screen.
Volunteer and Make a Difference!
To volunteer at this year's event, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form.
All volunteers must register in the Volunteer Information Matching System (VIMS) and be screened, per FIRST® LEGO® League's Youth Protection Program. Please follow these steps:
- Register in the Volunteer Information Matching System (VIMS).
- Activate your account (an automated email will be sent to the address you provide).
- Log in to VIMS, and complete the "About You" section. (Note: All sections, except
"Military Service," have "Prefer not to answer" as an option.
- Complete the "Expertise" section.
- Find and Apply for the FIRST Event (FLL - FIRST® LEGO® League): Ottumwa Regional,
December 2, 2017. (Click "Volunteer Role Applications" and "Apply for an Event.")
- Get "Screened" (Applying for an event will trigger the request) - Note: If you've
already been screened through FIRST® LEGO® League then you will be able to skip this
- Wait to receive an email confirming that you have been assigned a role. Alternatively, you can check "Volunteer Role Assignments" in VIMS.
AJ Gevock, Director of Outreach Activities, Midwest Photonics Education Center
Indian Hills Community College
Phone: (641) 683-4279 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 4279