The GO STEM Scholarship Program stands for: Growing Opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Scholarships are funded by the National Science Foundation's S-STEM program under Award Number 2130114.
The primary goal of the GO STEM Scholarship Program is to help qualified community college students studying STEM achieve their education and career goals. In addition to receiving a scholarship, GO STEM scholars take part in a variety of activities designed to help ensure their success in graduating college and obtaining a STEM career.
The GO STEM Scholarship Program provides financial aid that will cover up to $10,000 of the student's yearly unmet financial needs based on their FAFSA. ($2,500/term maximum.)
- Students must be in the process of enrolling (or be enrolled) in one of the participating programs below.
- Minimum 2.5 high school GPA for entering students (or a total combined score on all five subtests of at least 50 for HiSET completers).
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 for first-year IHCC students applying for a scholarship for their second year.
- Must complete the ACCUPLACER, SAT or ACT exam within two years of applying for GO STEM.
- Must be enrolled full time (8 credit hours minimum) at IHCC each term while participating in GO STEM.
- Must have a current FAFSA on file and demonstrate financial need.
- Open to United States citizens, permanent residents, nationals or refugees Not open to international students.
IHCC academic programs participating in the GO STEM Scholarship Program:
Career and Technical Programs
- Computer Software Development
- Cybersecurity & Systems Administration
- Electrical and Renewable Energy Technology
- Electronic Engineering Technology
- Laser and Optics Technology
- Robotics/Automation Technology
Arts & Sciences - Transfer Programs
Required GO STEM Scholar Supports:
Fall orientation meeting: Get to know project staff and your peers and learn more about GO STEM over pizza.
First-year course series: Take part in three, one-credit courses over the course of your first year as a scholar. The courses - including Introduction to GO STEM and College Success Skills (fall), Career Skills Development (winter) and STEM Careers and Leadership (spring) - are designed to boost students' overall college success and build camarderie among scholars.
Summer excursion: Attend a four-day, out-of-state trip worth three college credits that focuses on leadership, diversity and Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (STEAM) during your first year in the program.
Faculty mentoring: Meet twice per term with a faculty mentor in your field of study who will ensure you have the tools and information you need to complete your program and find the right career after graduation.
Peer mentoring: Connect with a peer mentor to become more familiar with the college environment. Scholars participate in a GO STEM group activity, such as a community service project, once per term with their peer mentor. First-year scholars receive mentoring, while second year scholars serve as mentors.
This is a need-based scholarship program. Students must file a FAFSA and demonstrate
financial need as defined by the federal government.
For additional information about the FAFSA, please explore our answers to a number of Frequently Asked Questions or contact the Financial Aid Office.
How to Apply for a GO STEM Scholarship:
The application period for the 2023-24 school year is now closed.
In order to apply, applicants simply need to fill out the GO STEM Scholarship Program Application online. Paper copies of the application may also be obtained from Jenaya Pilcher in the Foundation Office on the Main Ottumwa Campus (see contact information below).
The deadline for the 2024-25 school year is May 31, 2024.
If you have any questions regarding the GO STEM program , please contact:
Angie Sieren, Professor, Mathematics
Indian Hills Community College
525 Grandview Avenue, Ottumwa, Iowa 52501
Phone: (641) 683-5111 ext. 1837 or
(800) 726-2585, ext. 1837
Email: [email protected]
Jenaya Pilcher, Scholarship Coordinator & Assistant
Indian Hills Community College
525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, Iowa 52501