Social work allows you to pursue your Life.Changing. passion for advocacy and social justice by working on the FRONT lines!
|Campus||Ottumwa and Centerville Campuses|
|Entry Term||All Terms|
|Length of Program||6 Terms (18 Months)|
|Diploma/Degree||Associate of Arts Degree (A.A.)|
If you have ever wanted to help the disenfranchised or those who have not been born to the privilege that others have, becoming a social worker might be one of the most powerful ways of doing so. Working with all kinds of populations, minorities, immigrants, etc…, social work allows you to use your voice to advocate for their needs in ways they can’t do for themselves. Social workers often counsel individuals and/or their families, refer them to other professionals, and offer resources. By offering these resources, you are able to actively track the difference you are making in someone’s life! THAT in itself is truly Life.Changing! Additionally, this is specifically designed to help you gain the foundational knowledge and understanding to prepare you to continue your education at a four-year college after graduation!
|What you will learn:||
Social Work Program Outcomes 2022
- Explain and discover the ability to use sociological imagination and the major classical or contemporary perspectives in social theory to analyze social problems in context, and to generate and evaluate solutions.
- Develop critical thinking skills by analyzing and evaluating social, political, and/or cultural arguments across a variety of sociological areas such as inequality, social problems, human sexuality and gender, race, social economics, and social justice.
- Examine research methodologies used in social sciences to evaluate the quality and characteristics in sociological research and to evaluate representations of data in public discourse.
- Develop an awareness of diversity by analyzing how individuals’ worldviews of different cultural, religious, and political belief systems interpret the world around them through these beliefs.
- Develop and construct effective and convincing written and verbal arguments using sociological concepts.
- Evaluate how human behavior is shaped through social phenomena, social structures, social processes, social institutions, cultural routines, and socio-political change as it occurs locally and globally.
Ready to take your education to the next level?
Check out the details below to see how our courses at Indian Hills Community College will help you get on your way to a Life.Changing. career as a Social Worker, a position in Human Services, or Case Management!
|Frequently Asked Questions||Tuition & Financial Aid||Request More Information|
|Visit Campus||Program Details||Apply Now|
Questions? Don’t stress. Just ask Deb!
Deb Vos, Program Director, Education and Social Sciences
Indian Hills Community College
525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, Iowa 52501
(641) 683-5111 ext. 1835 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 1835