Surgical Technology (A.A.S.)
Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)
Surgical technologists are allied health professionals who are an integral part of the team of medical practitioners providing Life. Changing. surgical care to patients in a variety of settings. The surgical technologist works under medical supervision to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures. The IHCC Surgical Technology program is a hybrid curriculum with labs located in surrounding hospitals and clinics.
Learn More About the Program
|View the Program Curriculum
“If you want to get an education that will lead to a successful career, I recommend Indian Hills. The instructors believe in the mission of changing students’ lives and teaching what you need to know to grow in your future career.”
Surgical Tech Job Duties
- Prep patients & operating rooms
- Sterilize equipment
- Pass instruments to surgeons
- Use retractors to assist the surgeon
- Help transfer patients to recovery
Integral Part of the Team
This individual works under the supervision of a surgeon to ensure that the operating room is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
The Surgical Technology program is offered at Indian Hills Community College through a distance education agreement with Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Frequently Asked Questions
- In-state tuition: $203 per credit hour
- Out-of-state tuition: $255 per credit hour
- Your total bill will be based on the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled. Some programs of study will require you to purchase a uniform, books, tools, or other items, and it is important to budget for these costs as well.
- For more information on the Cost of Attendance, please visit our Financial Aid page.
Indian Hills has articulation agreements and transfer plans with many four-year colleges and universities. However, not all credits are guaranteed to transfer because of differences in programs and requirements among various institutions. An Academic Advisor will also assist you in your future academic plans.
"I was able to complete one year of college at Indian Hills while still attending high school. After graduating, I only had to complete one additional year of credits at Indian Hills. Taking concurrent enrollment credit saved me so much money. Also, staying close to home and completing my degree provided me with the freedom of going to college, but also the structure I needed to learn how to transition to a larger institution.
|Delaney Evers '14
|Associate of Arts