How might I benefit from counseling?

  • We all have times in life where we would benefit from asking for and accepting help. A counselor may be best to speak with regarding mental health-related topics, struggles or questions. Every situation and counselor is different, and even if you have experienced counseling in the past, (helpful or not), doing so now may be completely different and helpful.  Counseling can help you in managing personal challenges or difficult situations, learn new coping techniques and stress management skills, increase self-esteem, decrease anxiety and depression, stay more focused, improve your relationships, and adjust to college life.  You and your counselor will decide together which areas to focus on.

Will my information become part of my academic record?

  • Mental/Behavioral Health support is a personal matter and all inquiries and sessions at the CPRC are private and confidential, and considered Protected Health Information (PHI); which is protected under state/federal laws and regulations governing privacy. It is not be part of your academic or administrative record at IHCC.  The CPRC’s policy prohibits the release of any PHI without proper authorization.  PHI may be disclosed or released to any designated third party, only after receiving an explicit and informed written/signed authorization from you or a parent/legal guardian, as applicable. 

Will instructors, parents, spouse and/or friends know that I am in counseling?

  • Counseling is confidential and, consequently, only the people you tell will know you are in counseling. Specific limits to confidentiality do exist.  Please refer to the Confidentiality section for more information.  This information will be reviewed with you at your first session and you are welcome to ask for any additional clarification at any time.   

Will I be prescribed medication?

  • CPRC mental health professionals are not prescribing providers. In order to be evaluated for and receive a psychiatric medication, a referral to a medical professional including a primary care physician or psychiatrist, is necessary.  CPRC providers believe psychiatric medication(s) may be beneficial for immediate mental health stabilization and alongside other mental health treatments such as counseling.  Medication of any kind is never a pre-requisite or requirement alongside any CPRC service. However, it is possible that an individual may be required to receive mental health treatment/support at a higher level of care, prior to or in place of, services at the CPRC; which may or may not involve medications.  (See the next question).  


When is a referral to another professional made?

  • Referrals to community-based or inpatient services are made when medication is requested, long-term therapy is recommended, and/or safety concerns are present.


Are counseling services required?

  • Aside from crisis intervention, where the safety of an individual and/or the IHCC community is prioritized, counseling services are never required by CPRC providers. There may, however, be situations where counseling may be required and/or strongly recommended by another IHCC department or parent/guardian based on contract requirements such as housing or athletics.  Lastly, there may be additional considerations for residence students with a recent medical or mental health hospital discharge.

Counseling or Advising?

  • Either an academic advisor or CPRC counselor could assist with career coaching, (i.e. exploring your leadership style, career plan, priorities, and/or satisfaction, etc.). However, you should see an advisor instead of a counselor if you need help with:  IHCC course planning, recommendation and selection, program registration, changing programs, checking your progress towards graduation or transferring to another school.  Email [email protected] or call 641-683-5262 to schedule an appointment with an advisor. 

What do I do if:  I’m failing a class, I’m struggling with an instructor, I’m having transportation issues, I’m missing classes, or I’m having health problems, etc.?

  • It’s always a good idea to keep the lines of communication open with faculty. Start by emailing, calling or scheduling a time to inform your program instructor of any struggles or concerns.  At any point, you are also welcome to schedule an appointment with a counselor at the CPRC, to explore all additional support options.  


Contact Us

Counseling and Prevention Resource Center
Indian Hills Community College
Trustee Hall, First Floor

525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, Iowa 52501

Phone: (641) 683-5152 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 5152
Email: [email protected]

Questions about services may be emailed, however, we do not schedule appointments via email, because email is not considered a confidential communication. Staff are also not able to check email with regularity or frequency,  therefore for the timeliest and most confidential communication, please call!